Monday, March 1, 2010

Workout Day 1

When it comes to working out, I am one that goes all in (for about 2 weeks) then get distracted or off my routine and completely de-rail my workout goals.  Needless to say over the last 10 years I have had a lot of "Day 1's".  Today is another example of this for me.  Yesterday I posted a goal for myself of losing 20 pounds.  (Hey its now March, beach season is approaching fast, and I have to look good for ... well... my wife of course :-) )  

The trouble that I have been having as of late in getting started again is trying to find a good time to do my workout.  My normal day goes as follows.  I get up around 6:30 (same time my 8 month old son does), get showered/dressed, have breakfast, clean up the house for the babysitter, feed my son, walk/feed the dogs, go to work, get home around 6, have dinner, hang out with my family, put my son to bed, relax/fall asleep (and start all over again).  Now, I have used every excuse in the book as to why I stop working out, but lately, I have found that hanging out with my family for a few hours at night is the most important to me.

This leaves one logical time left to work out for me, 5 am.  For those of you that don't know this is an absolutely absurd time of day.  No one in their right mind (or that doesn't have to work that early) should be awake.  It's still dark outside, right now its really cold, but I need to figure out how to get my butt out of bed and do what I need to do.

Like I said today was Day 1 again.  I'm planning on getting up and running a couple of times a week, but Mondays will most likely not be that day.  The reasons are simple, 1. its monday, 2. I play soccer on a work team Monday nights (thats enough running for Monday).  Today, I did push-ups and sit-ups.  For push-ups, I am using the Perfect Pushup (and yes despite its "As-Seen-On-TV" status, it is a pretty good workout program).  For sit-ups, I am using an iPhone app I found called 200 sit-ups.  Basically its a program to get you to be able to do 200 consecutive crunch-like sit-ups.

Hopefully I can push past my 2-week wall and continue this until I reach my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment